(1) Except as otherwise provided in this regulation, the custodian shall generally make public records available for inspection by an applicant without demanding a written request.
(2) The custodian shall require a written request if the custodian reasonably believes that the Act or any other law may prevent the disclosure of the record to the applicant or that a written request will materially assist the Department in responding to the request.
(3) The custodian of record shall not disclose sociological information to a requester, except the custodian may permit inspection:
(a) By an individual named in the record;
(b) By the attorney of record of an individual named in the record;
(c) By the insurance company of record of an individual named in the record;
(d) By public employees in performance of their public duties;
(e) When required by a duly issued subpoena;
(f) When the Secretary determines that disclosure is in the publicís best interest; or
(g) When otherwise required by law.
B. Copies. If the applicant is requesting a copy of any public record, the custodian may require a written request by the applicant.
C. If a written request is required, the applicant may use Form D-RM-005, "Request for Public Records", or submit a request letter. The request letter shall contain the name and address of the applicant and a brief description of the record sought, and shall be signed by the applicant.
D. Applicants may obtain Form D-RM-005 or may request public records by writing, visiting, or calling any Office of the Department of Transportation, or by contacting the appropriate official custodian as listed below:
(1) Deputy Secretary, Maryland Department of Transportation, 7201 Corporate Center Drive, P.O. Box 548, Hanover, Maryland 21076-0548;
(2) Deputy Executive Director, Maryland Port Administration, The World Trade Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21202-3041;
(3) Administrator, Maryland Transit Administration, 6 Saint Paul Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202-1614;
(4) Administrator, Motor Vehicle Administration, 6601 Ritchie Highway N.E., Glen Burnie, Maryland 21062-0001;
(5) Administrator, Maryland Aviation Administration, P.O. Box 8766, Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, Maryland 21240-0766;
(6) Administrator, State Highway Administration, 707 North Calvert Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202-0717;
(7) Executive Director, Maryland Transportation Authority, 2310 Broening Highway, Suite 150, Baltimore, Maryland 21224-6639.