A. Authorizing Sponsored Programs.
(1) The Board shall establish a committee to advise the Board on continuing education.
(2) The committee shall evaluate and the Board may authorize applicants to sponsor Category A programs.
(3) The committee may recommend Board approval of programs by authorized sponsors for Category A according to the objectives stated in Regulations .04A and .05 of this chapter.
B. Criteria for Program Eligibility.
(1) The Board shall evaluate each continuing education program submitted on the basis of the following criteria:
(a) Relevance of the subject matter to increase or support the development of skill and competence in counseling or therapy;
(b) Objectives of specific information or skill to be learned;
(c) Program content, educational methods, materials, and facilities used, including the frequency and duration of sessions and the adequacy to implement objectives; and
(d) Sponsorship and leadership of programs, including:
(i) The qualifications of the sponsoring individual or organization,
(ii) Program leaders if different from sponsors, and
(iii) The contact person if different from those in §B(1)(d)(i) or (ii) of this regulation.
(2) A program sponsored by the American Counseling Association, the National Board for Certified Counselors, the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, the National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors, the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse, Inc., any other national or international organization, or their regional or state affiliates is automatically approved by the Board for Category A, unless otherwise excluded.
(3) A program sponsored by an accredited institution of higher education and state departments of health is automatically approved by the Board for Category A, unless otherwise excluded.
(4) The following may be authorized to sponsor Category A programs upon application and approval by the Board:
(a) National, state, or local professional, scientific, or mental health organizations;
(b) Those individuals certified or licensed by the Board; and
(c) Other agencies, institutions, or organizations providing continuing education programs in the interest of carrying out the intent of Health Occupations Article, §§17-309 and 17-3A-08, Annotated Code of Maryland, and Regulations .04 and .05 of this chapter.
C. Procedures for Pre-approval.
(1) An application, on a form provided by the Board, shall be made and fee submitted to the Board for authorization of programs of sponsoring agencies meeting the requirements of these regulations.
(2) The application shall be submitted to the committee at least 10 weeks before the scheduling of each continuing education program.
(3) Authorized sponsors shall state in the continuing education program description the following:
(a) "A certificate for (number of hours) CEUs of Category A will be awarded upon completion of this (type of program)";
(b) "(Name of organization) has been approved by the Maryland State Board of Examiners as an authorized sponsor who may provide Category A CEUs for certified or licensed professional counselors, marriage and family therapists, and alcohol and drug counselors"; and
(c) "(Name of organization) maintains responsibility for the program".
(4) Authorized sponsors shall maintain documentation of registration and attendance records, stated purpose, content and presentation, time and length of the activity, and participant evaluations for a 4-year period following the program that may be audited by the Board.
(5) Approved sponsors' programs shall be approved for a 2-year period except as otherwise provided in žD of this regulation.
(6) Certificate holders and licensees may request, upon payment of a fee, that the Board review programs that do not have pre-approval for awarding CEU units.
D. Withdrawal of Approval. Authorization may be withdrawn when, in the judgment of the Board, the intent of Health Occupations Article, §§17-309 and 17-3A-08, Annotated Code of Maryland, and Regulations .04, .05, and .06 of this chapter are no longer served.