A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Applicant" means a physician who has applied to the Board for registration to perform acupuncture in this State.
(2) "Board" means the State Board of Physicians.
(3) "Medical acupuncture course of study" means a sequence of study in acupuncture approved by the Board, which sequence may consist of combinations of course work from unrelated institutions completed within 5 years of the date of application, that includes at least 200 hours of instruction in general and basic aspects, specific uses and techniques of acupuncture, and indications and contraindications of acupuncture administration.
(4) "Medical acupuncture program" means a program of study in acupuncture which has been approved for Category I continuing medical education credit by an institution accredited or recognized by the Accreditation Council on Continuing Medical Education to conduct Category I continuing medical education courses.
(5) "Physician" means an individual licensed to practice medicine in Maryland.
(6) "To perform acupuncture" means to stimulate a certain point or points on or near the surface of the human body by the insertion of needles to prevent or modify the perception of pain or to normalize physiological functions, including pain control, for the treatment of ailments or conditions of the body and for maintenance of good health.