A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "AARC" means the American Association for Respiratory Care.
(2) "Accredited respiratory care education program" means a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care or its successor.
(3) "Board" means the Board of Physicians.
(4) "Clinical supervision" means the responsibility of a respiratory care practitioner to exercise on-site or immediately available direction for respiratory care departments, the provision of any respiratory care services, licensed respiratory care practitioners, or students practicing respiratory care.
(5) "Collaboration" means a respiratory care practitioner practicing in association with and under the direction of a physician to plan and implement a regimen of care.
(6) "Committee" means the Respiratory Care Professional Standards Committee of the Board.
(7) “Licensee” means a licensed respiratory care practitioner.
(8) “Mechanical ventilation” means utilizing positive or negative pressure to provide inspiratory support by invasive or noninvasive means.
(9) "National Certifying Board" means the National Board for Respiratory Care, Inc. or its successor.
(10) "Physician" means an individual licensed to practice medicine in Maryland.
(11) "Practice of respiratory care" means the diagnostic evaluation, care and treatment, management, and rehabilitation of patients who have deficiencies and abnormalities which affect the pulmonary system and associated aspects of the cardiopulmonary and other systems.
(12) "Respiratory care practitioner" means an individual licensed by the Board to practice respiratory care.
(13) "Supervision" means the responsibility of a physician to exercise on-site or immediately available direction for a licensed respiratory care practitioner performing delegated medical acts.