A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “ARRT” means the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
(2) “Board” means the Board of Physicians.
(3) “Certification” means recognition of an individual who has satisfied certain standards required by a national certifying board.
(4) “Committee” means the Radiation Therapy, Radiography, Nuclear Medicine Technology, and Radiology Assistance Advisory Committee of the Board.
(5) “Computed tomography (CT)” means the use of a machine that produces ionizing radiation to obtain cross-sectional images.
(6) Direct Supervision.
(a) “Direct supervision” means supervisionby a licensed physician who is:
(i) In the physical presence of the licensee and a patient; and
(ii) Observing and directing the licensee as the licensee performs a procedure.
(b) “Direct supervision” includes, for purposes of meeting the examination eligibility requirements set out in Regulation .10B of this chapter, supervision by a:
(i) Licensed nuclear medicine technologist with the post-primary computed tomography (CT) credential;
(ii) Licensed radiographer with the post-primary CT credential; or
(iii) Licensed radiologist.
(7) “Hybrid nuclear medicine/CT device” means a machine that combines two distinct imaging modalities.
(8) “Immediately available direction” means the responsibility of a licensed physician to provide necessary direction for a licensee in person, by telephone, or by other electronic means if the licensee needs assistance with a procedure.
(9) “JRCERT” means the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology.
(10) “JRCNMT” means the Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology.
(11) “Licensee” means an individual who is licensed to practice radiography, radiation therapy, nuclear medicine technology, or radiology assistance in Maryland.
(12) “NMTCB” means the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board.
(13) “Nuclear medicine technologist” means an individual licensed by the Board to practice nuclear medicine technology.
(14) “On-site supervision” means the responsibility of a licensed physician to provide necessary direction for a licensee when the physician is:
(a) Physically present in the facility; and
(b) Able to respond in person if the licensee needs assistance with a procedure.
(15) “Physician” means an individual who is licensed by the Board to practice medicine.
(16) “Post–primary computed tomography (CT) credential” means passing a specialty examination by the ARRT or the NMTCB to establish competency in performing computed tomography.
(17) “Practice nuclear medicine technology” means to:
(a) Prepare and administer radiopharmaceuticals to human beings; or
(b) Conduct in vivo detection and measurement of radioactivity for medical purposes to assist the physician in the diagnosis and treatment of disease or injury.
(18) “Practice radiation therapy” means to perform tumor localization radiography and apply therapeutic doses of radiation for the treatment of disease or injury.
(19) “Practice radiography” means to use ionizing radiation to:
(a) Demonstrate portions of the human body to assist the physician in the diagnosis of disease or injury; or
(b) Perform tumor localization radiography.
(20) “Practice radiology assistance” means to:
(a) Practice radiography; and
(i) Fluoroscopy and selected radiology procedures;
(ii) Patient assessment; and
(iii) Patient management.
(21) “Radiation therapist” means an individual licensed by the Board to practice radiation therapy.
(22) “Radiographer” means an individual who is licensed by the Board to practice radiography.
(23) “Radiologist” means a licensed physician who:
(a) Specializes in radiology; and
(b) Has current certification in radiology by one of the following organizations:
(i) American Board of Radiology;
(ii) American Osteopathic Board of Radiology;
(iii) British Royal College of Radiology; or
(iv) Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
(21) “Special procedure request” means a written request to the Board to allow a licensed radiologist assistant to perform one or more procedures listed in Regulation .11E of this chapter.
(25) “Supervision” means the responsibility of the licensed physician to exercise on-site direction or immediately available direction for licensees.