A. The Board shall establish a committee composed of the following individuals:
(1) Three licensed physicians meeting the following criteria:
(a) At least one physician shall be a specialist in orthopedic or sports medicine; and
(b) At least two of the physicians shall currently be or in the past have been partnered with or directed an athletic trainer;
(2) Three athletic trainers who meet the following criteria:
(a) Have at least 5 years of clinical experience as an athletic trainer;
(b) If appointed or serving before October 1, 2011, be certified by the certifying board; and
(c) If appointed or serving on or after October 1, 2011, be licensed as an athletic trainer;
(3) One licensed chiropractor with sports medicine experience;
(4) One licensed physical therapist;
(5) One licensed occupational therapist; and
(6) Two consumers meeting the criteria specified in Health Occupations Article, §14-5D-05(c), Annotated Code of Maryland.
B. Selection of Athletic Trainers. The Board may appoint the athletic trainer members from a list of qualified individuals submitted to the Board by the Maryland Athletic Trainers Association, Inc.
(1) The term of a member is 3 years.
(2) The terms of the members are staggered.
(3) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed.
(4) An individual may be reappointed for a second term, but the individual may not serve more than two full, consecutive terms.
(1) If a vacancy occurs, the Board shall appoint a new member to serve, as provided in this chapter.
(2) The successor member shall serve only for the remainder of the term, unless reappointed.
(1) The Committee shall elect a chair from among its members.
(2) The chair shall serve for 2 years.
F. The Committee shall:
(1) Make recommendations to the Board regarding:
(a) Regulations governing athletic trainers;
(b) Continuing education requirements for license renewal; and
(c) The practice of athletic training;
(2) Develop and recommend to the Board an evaluation and treatment protocol for use by an athletic trainer and the physician with whom the athletic trainer practices;
(3) Upon request of the Board, provide advice and recommendations to the Board on individual evaluation and treatment protocols; and
(4) Keep a record of the Committee’s proceedings.