A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Accredited training program" means a postgraduate clinical medical education program which is:
(a) Certified by the:
(i) Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or its successor, or
(ii) American Osteopathic Association (AOA) or its successor;
(b) A postgraduate clinical medical education program that meets all of the following criteria:
(i) Is in a specialty or subspecialty area, or both, that is not being accredited by the ACGME but meets all the requirements for accreditation of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education,
(ii) Is directed by a physician who is actively licensed to practice medicine in Maryland,
(iii) Is concurrently offered with ACGME-accredited programs, and
(iv) Is taught at a hospital that is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations; or
(c) The equivalent of §B(1)(a) of this regulation as determined by the Board of Physicians.
(2) "ACGME" means the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
(3) "Affiliation" means the relationship, expressed in writing, as established between a hospital, hospital department, clinic, similar facility, or office of a physician, and the student's medical school for the express purpose of providing clinical training to the medical student.
(4) "Board" means the Board of Physicians.
(5) "Chief of service" means the licensed physician responsible for the proper registration of all postgraduate unlicensed medical practitioners.
(6) "Clinical clerkship" means a medical training program for medical school students in which the student may observe or assist in the management of patients under direct supervision of a physician or assigned resident.
(7) "Foreign medical school" means any medical school located outside of the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico.
(8) "LCME" means the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, an organization that accredits programs in medical education leading to the M.D. degree in the United States and territories and, in cooperation with the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools, in Canada.
(9) "Postgraduate training program" means a clinical medical training program for medical school graduates including, but not limited to, internships, residencies, and fellowships.
(10) "Unlicensed medical practitioner" means:
(a) A medical school graduate practicing medicine in a postgraduate training program who is not licensed to practice medicine in this State; or
(b) A medical school student practicing medicine in a clinical clerkship in this State.