A. In COMAR 10.29.17COMAR 10.29.20, the following terms having the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Advertising” means the publication, dissemination, or circulation of any oral or written matter, including labeling, which directly or indirectly calls to the attention of the public the goods and services one has to offer.
(2) “Authorizing agent” means an individual legally entitled to order the cremation of human remains or legally authorized to control the final disposition of human remains.
(3) “Board” means Board of Morticians and Funeral Directors.
(4) “Consumer” includes a funeral establishment contracting with a crematory or the designated next of kin of a decedent contracting with a crematory.
(5) “Cremated human remains” means all human remains recovered after completion of cremation and the use of mechanical pulverizing equipment.
(6) “Cremation” means the process of reducing human remains to bone fragments through intense heat and evaporation, including any mechanical or thermal process and may include pulverization.
(7) “Cremation container” means a readily combustible, rigid container in which human remains are sent to the crematory and then placed in the cremation chamber for cremation.
(8) “Cremator” means the machinery within which the process of cremation of human remains begins.
(9) “Crematory” means a building, portion of a building, or structure that houses the necessary appliances and facilities for cremation.
(10) “Crematory authority” has the same meaning as “permit holder”.
(11) “Embalming” means the disinfection and preserving of human remains by arterial or cavity injection or any other type of preservation.
(12) “Engage in the operation of a crematory” means controlling or managing a crematory.
(13) “Holding facility” means an area within or adjacent to the crematory establishment designed for the retention of human remains before cremation.
(14) “Human remains” means the body of a deceased person, or part of a body or limb that has been removed from a living person.
(15) “Office” means the Office of Cemetery Oversight.
(16) “Permit” means a license issued by the Board to allow a person to operate a business which engages in the operation of a crematory.
(17) “Permit holder” means the holder of a permit issued under Health Occupations Article, Title 7, Annotated Code of Maryland, to operate a crematory.
(18) “Person” means an individual, personal representative, or a corporation that is the operator of a mortuary science business where the practice of mortuary science is conducted for the corporation by a licensed mortician or funeral director, a partnership, or professional association, each comprised of one or more licensed morticians or funeral directors.
(19) “Processed human remains” means the end result of pulverization, where the residue from the cremation process is pulverized leaving only bone fragments reduced to 5 millimeters or less.
(20) “Registered crematory operator” means an individual registered to operate a crematory as a sole proprietor or on behalf of a sole proprietor or permit holder.
(21) “Sealable container” means a container in which cremated human remains can be placed and sealed so as to prevent leakage or the entrance of foreign materials.