A. The licensee shall:
(1) Apprise the patient of the risks, opportunities, and obligations associated with services available to the patient;
(2) Make the fee for service clear, maintain adequate financial records, and confirm arrangements for financial reimbursement with the patient;
(3) Notify the patient promptly and seek the transfer, referral, or continuation of service in relation to the patient's need or preference if the licensee anticipates the termination or interruption of service to the patient;
(4) Obtain voluntary and informed consent from a patient for participation in research, without direct or implied deprivation or penalty for refusal to participate;
(5) Inform the Board of unethical conduct by a licensed optometrist; and
(6) Inform the Board about an individual who is not licensed by the Board but who represents that the individual is an optometrist and is practicing, attempting to practice, or offering to practice optometry.
B. In the capacity of or identity as a licensed optometrist, the licensee may not:
(1) Participate or condone dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation;
(2) Misrepresent professional qualifications, education, experience, or affiliation;
(3) Exploit a relationship with a patient for personal advantage or satisfaction;
(4) Practice, condone, facilitate, or collaborate with discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, political belief, mental or physical handicap, or other preference or personal characteristic, condition, or status;
(5) Engage or participate in an action that violates or diminishes the civil or legal rights of a patient; or
(6) Share a fee or accept or give something of value for receiving or making a referral.