A. An applicant for certification as a nurse practitioner shall obtain certification from the Board before commencing practice.
B. An applicant for certification as a nurse practitioner shall:
(1) Hold a current Maryland license in good standing to practice registered nursing or a multistate licensure privilege to practice registered nursing;
(2) Have graduated from a Board-approved accredited graduate level program for nurse practitioners at the Masters’ level or higher that meets the requirements of Regulation .06 of this chapter;
(3) Hold a current national certification:
(a) For each area of specialization in which certification is sought; and
(b) From the AANPNCB or other national certifying body recognized by the Board;
(4) Submit to the Board a completed application for certification as a nurse practitioner for each area of specialization in which certification is sought;
(5) Comply with all the requirements set forth in COMAR 10.27.01.04;
(6) Demonstrate written and oral competency in the English language;
(7) If the applicant has not been certified by the Board or any other Board of Nursing, identify a designated mentor for 18 months as defined in Regulation .01 of this chapter; and
(8) Pay all fees.
C. The Board shall:
(1) Maintain an up-to-date list of all nurse practitioners certified in the State; and
(2) Include on the nurse practitioner’s registered nursing license an indication that the licensee is certified as a nurse practitioner and designate the nurse practitioner’s area of specialization.
D. The Board shall certify a nurse practitioner consistent with the nurse practitioner’s specialty, education, and national certification.