A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “AANPNCB” means the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners National Certification Board.
(2) “Advanced practice registered nurse (APRN)” means a registered nurse who is certified by the Board as:
(a) A certified nurse midwife (CNM);
(b) A certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA);
(c) A certified nurse practitioner (CRNP); or
(d) A clinical nurse specialist (CNS).
(3) "Board" means the Board of Nursing.
(4) “Certification” means permission to practice as a nurse practitioner granted by the Board to a registered nurse who has:
(a) Met all the specified requirement of a national certifying body recognized by the Board; and
(b) Complied with the requirements of this chapter.
(5) “Collaborating” means a cooperative relationship with other health care providers.
(6) “Facility” means a health care facility as defined under Health-General Article, §19-114(d), Annotated Code of Maryland.
(7) “Mentor” means a certified nurse practitioner or physician, licensed in Maryland, who:
(a) Has 3 or more years of clinical practice experience; and
(b) Will be available for advice, consultation, and collaboration, as needed, for 18 months beginning on the date an application is received by the Board from an applicant who has never been certified in this or any other State.
(8) “Multistate licensure privilege” has the meaning set forth in COMAR 10.27.01.01B.
(9) “Nurse practitioner” means an advanced practice registered nurse who is certified by the Board to practice as a nurse practitioner in this State.
(10) "Personally prepare and dispense" means that a nurse practitioner:
(a) Is physically present on the premises where the prescription is filled; and
(b) Performs a final check of the prescription before the prescription is provided to the patient.
(11) "Physician" means an individual who has an unencumbered license to practice medicine, issued under Health Occupations Article, Title 14, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(12) “Registered nurse (RN)” means an individual who:
(a) Is licensed by the Board to practice registered nursing; or
(b) Has a multistate licensure privilege to practice registered nursing.
(13) "Starter dosage" means an amount of a drug sufficient to begin therapy:
(a) Of a short duration of 72 hours or less; or
(b) Before obtaining a larger quantity of the drug to complete therapy.
(14) “Unencumbered license” means a license that is not:
(b) Suspended; or
(c) On probationary status.