A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "A.A.N.A." means the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists.
(2) "Advanced practice registered nurse (APRN)" means a registered nurse who is certified by the Board as:
(a) A certified nurse midwife (CNM);
(b) A certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA);
(c) A certified nurse practitioner (CRNP); or
(d) A clinical nurse specialist (CNS).
(3) "Anesthesiologist" means a Maryland-licensed physician who:
(a) Has had special training in the field of anesthesiology;
(b) Administers anesthesia on a regular basis; and
(c) Devotes a substantial portion of the physician's medical practice to the practice of anesthesiology.
(4) "Board" means the Board of Nursing.
(5) "Certification" means the permission to practice nurse anesthesia granted by the Board to a registered nurse who has:
(a) Met all the specified requirements of a national certifying body recognized by the
(b) Complied with the requirements of this chapter.
(6) "Certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA)" means an advanced practice registered nurse who is certified by the Board to practice as a nurse anesthetist in this State.
(7) "Licensed physician or dentist" means a Maryland-licensed physician or dentist who has knowledge and experience in resuscitation, anesthetic drugs, and their reactions.
(8) "Multistate licensure privilege" has the meaning set forth in COMAR 10.27.01.01B.
(9) "Perioperative assessment and management" means the assessment and management of the patient preoperatively, intraoperatively, and postoperatively.
(10) "Practice of nurse anesthesia" means the performance of acts in collaboration with an anesthesiologist, licensed physician, or dentist, which require substantial specialized knowledge, judgment, and skill related to the administration of anesthesia, including:
(a) Perioperative assessment and management of patients requiring anesthesia services;
(b) Administering anesthetics;
(c) Management of fluid in intravenous therapy; and
(d) Respiratory care.
(11) "Qualified anesthesia provider" means a physician, dentist, or certified registered nurse anesthetist trained and duly authorized under the respective provisions of the Health Occupations Article to administer local, regional, and general anesthesia.
(12) "Registered Nurse" means an individual who is licensed by the Board to practice registered nursing or has a multistate licensure privilege to practice registered nursing in this State under the Nurse Licensure Compact.