A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "A.A.N.A." means the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists.
(2) "Anesthesiologist" means a Maryland-licensed physician who:
(a) Has had special training in the field of anesthesiology;
(b) Administers anesthesia on a regular basis; and
(c) Devotes a substantial portion of the physician's medical practice to the practice of anesthesiology.
(3) "Board" means the Board of Nursing.
(4) "BPQA" means the Board of Physician Quality Assurance.
(5) "Certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA)" means a registered nurse who is certified to practice nurse anesthesia by the Board.
(6) "Collaboration" means the development and implementation of an agreement between a nurse anesthetist and an anesthesiologist, licensed physician, or dentist concerning the practice of nurse anesthesia.
(7) "Licensed physician or dentist" means a Maryland-licensed physician or dentist who has knowledge and experience in resuscitation, anesthetic drugs, and their reactions.
(8) "Perioperative assessment and management of patients" means the assessment and management of the patient preoperatively and postoperatively, as well as monitoring of the patient during anesthesia.
(9) "Practice of nurse anesthesia" means the performance of acts in collaboration with an anesthesiologist, licensed physician, or dentist, which require substantial specialized knowledge, judgment, and skill related to the administration of anesthesia, including:
(a) Perioperative assessment and management of patients requiring anesthesia services;
(b) Administering anesthetics;
(c) Management of fluid in intravenous therapy; and
(d) Respiratory care.
(10) "Qualified anesthesia provider" means a physician, dentist, or certified registered nurse anesthetist trained and duly authorized under the respective provisions of the Health Occupations Article to administer local, regional, and general anesthesia.