A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “ACME” means the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education.
(2) “ACNM” means the American College of Nurse Midwives.
(3) “Advanced practice registered nurse (APRN)” means a registered nurse who is certified by the Board as:
(a) A certified nurse midwife (CNM);
(b) A certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA);
(c) A certified nurse practitioner (CRNP); or
(d) A clinical nurse specialist (CNS).
(4) “AMCB” means the American Midwifery Certification Board.
(5) "Board" means the Board of Nursing.
(6) “Certification” means the permission to practice nurse midwifery granted by the Board to a registered nurse who has:
(a) Met all the specified requirements of a national certifying body recognized by the Board; and
(b) Complied with the requirements of this chapter.
(7) “Certified nurse midwife” means an advanced practice registered nurse who is certified by the Board to practice nurse midwifery in this State.
(8) “Clinical practice guidelines” means written standards using guidelines established by:
(a) The ACNM in Standards for the Practice of Midwifery, as amended or supplemented, and available from ACNM, 8403 Colesville Road, Suite 1550, Silver Spring, MD 20910; or
(b) Any other national certifying body recognized by the Board.
(9) “Delegated medical functions” means those functions that come within the definition of “practice medicine” in the Health Occupations Article, §14-101, Annotated Code of Maryland, that have been delegated to a certified nurse midwife to perform.
(10) “Multistate licensure privilege” has the meaning set forth in COMAR 10.27.01.01B.
(11) "Newborn" means an infant in the first 48 hours of life.
(12) "Nurse midwifery" means the health care management of newborns and clients throughout their reproductive life cycle.
(13) “Physician” means an individual licensed to practice medicine in this State.
(14) “Registered nurse (RN)” means an individual who:
(a) Is licensed by the Board to practice registered nursing; or
(b) Has a multistate licensure privilege to practice registered nursing.