A. Toilet-Sewage Disposal Facilities.
(1) A frozen desserts plant shall provide toilet facilities.
(2) Toilet rooms may not open directly into any room in which milk products, frozen dessert ingredients, or frozen desserts are processed or packaged.
(3) Toilet rooms shall:
(a) Be completely enclosed; and
(b) Have tight-fitting, self-closing doors.
(4) Dressing rooms, toilet rooms, and fixtures shall be kept in a clean condition, in good repair, and shall be well ventilated and well lit.
(5) Sewage and other liquid wastes shall be disposed of as approved by the Secretary.
B. Water Supply.
(1) Water for frozen desserts plant purposes shall be:
(a) Obtained from a properly located, protected, and operated supply;
(b) Easily accessible;
(d) Of a safe sanitary quality; and
(e) Approved by the Secretary.
(2) Both hot and cold water shall be available in sufficient quantity for all plant operations and facilities.
C. Handwashing Facilities.
(1) Convenient handwashing facilities shall be provided, including:
(a) Hot and cold or warm running water;
(b) Soap; and
(c) Individual sanitary towels or other approved hand-drying devices.
(2) Handwashing facilities shall be kept in a clean condition and in good repair.
D. Plant Cleanliness.
(1) Rooms in which milk products, frozen dessert ingredients, and frozen desserts are handled, processed, stored, or packaged or in which containers, utensils, or equipment are washed or stored, shall be kept clean, neat, and free of evidence of insects and rodents.
(2) Only properly applied pesticides, approved by the State and federal agencies for pesticide control, shall be used.
(3) Only equipment directly related to processing and packaging operations, or to handling of containers, utensils, and equipment shall be permitted in the pasteurizing, processing, cooling, packaging, and bulk milk storage rooms.
E. Construction and Repair of Containers and Equipment.
(1) Multiuse containers and equipment with which milk products, frozen dessert ingredients, and frozen desserts come into contact shall be:
(a) Of smooth, impervious, corrosion-resistant, nontoxic material;
(b) Constructed and installed for ease of cleaning; and
(c) Kept in good repair.
(2) Single-service Containers.
(a) Single-service containers, closures, gaskets, and other articles with which milk products, frozen dessert ingredients, or frozen desserts come into contact shall:
(i) Be nontoxic; and
(ii) Have been manufactured, packaged, transported, and handled in a sanitary manner.
(b) Articles intended for single-service use may not be reused.
(c) Equipment pertaining to materials, design, and finish shall comply with applicable 3-A Sanitary Standards.
F. Cleaning and Sanitizing of Containers and Equipment. The product-contact surface of all multiuse containers, utensils, and equipment used in the transportation, processing, handling, freezing, packaging, and storage of milk products, frozen dessert ingredients and frozen desserts mix shall be effectively cleaned and sanitized before each use.
G. Storage of Cleaned Multiuse Containers and Equipment. After cleaning, multiuse milk products, frozen dessert ingredients, and frozen dessert containers, utensils, and equipment shall be:
(1) Transported and stored to assure complete drainage; and
(2) Protected from contamination before use.
H. Storage of Single-Service Containers, Utensils and Materials. Single-service parchment papers, containers, gaskets, and other single-service articles for use in contact with milk products, frozen dessert ingredients, or frozen desserts shall be:
(1) Purchased and stored in sanitary wrappings or cartons;
(2) Kept in a clean dry place until used; and
(3) Handled in a sanitary manner.
I. Protection from Contamination.
(1) Frozen desserts plant operations, equipment, and facilities shall be located and conducted to prevent any contamination of:
(a) Milk products;
(b) Frozen dessert ingredients;
(c) Frozen desserts;
(e) Containers; and
(2) Unless the equipment has first been properly washed and subjected to a satisfactory bactericidal treatment, pasteurized mix or frozen desserts may not be permitted to come in contact with equipment or containers with which unpasteurized mix, frozen desserts, milk, or milk products have been in contact.
(3) In a frozen desserts plant, processing and handling shall be performed to preclude the contamination of the products.
(1) Frozen desserts shall be made from pasteurized mixes.
(2) After formulation of the entire mix except for flavoring, ingredients shall be pasteurized as provided in Regulation .21B(13) of this chapter.
(3) The design and operation of all pasteurization equipment and all appurtenances to it shall comply with the applicable specifications and operational procedures as outlined in Appendices H and I of the Grade “A” Pasteurized Milk Ordinance.
K. Cooling of Milk Products and Frozen Desserts Mix.
(1) Raw milk products shall be maintained at 45°F or less until processed.
(2) Pasteurized milk products and frozen desserts mix shall be cooled immediately, in approved equipment, to a temperature of 45°F or less.
(3) Pasteurized milk and frozen desserts mix shall be stored at a temperature of 45°F or less and maintained at that temperature until further processed.
(4) A room or tank in which products or frozen desserts mix are stored shall be equipped with an accurate thermometer.
(5) A mix which is not frozen at the plant at which it is pasteurized shall be:
(a) Transported to the place of manufacturing or freezing in sealed containers;
(b) Handled in a sanitary manner; and
(c) Stored at a temperature of 45°F or less until frozen.
(6) Except for sampling, dipping from containers of pasteurized mix is prohibited.
L. Container Packaging, Closure, Sealing, and Storage.
(1) Closing or sealing of frozen desserts containers shall be done in a sanitary manner.
(2) The closing or sealing of individual containers of frozen desserts shall be done by methods which preclude product contamination.
(3) Frozen desserts shall be stored in a sanitary manner.
M. Personnel Cleanliness.
(1) Hand Washing.
(a) Hands shall be thoroughly washed before commencing plant functions and as often as may be required to remove soil and contamination.
(b) An employee may not resume work after visiting the toilet room without thoroughly washing the employee’s hands.
(2) Garments and Hair Coverings.
(a) An individual engaged in processing, pasteurization, handling, storage, transportation, or packaging of milk products, frozen dessert ingredients or frozen desserts, containers, utensils, or equipment shall wear clean outer garments and a head covering.
(b) An employee with long hair shall wear hair restraints.
(3) The use of tobacco by any person while engaged in the processing of milk products, frozen desserts ingredients, or frozen desserts is prohibited.