A. Payments Under the Grant.
(1) The Department may not make more than monthly payments during the grant period to a person awarded a grant under this chapter.
(2) Before the first payment under the grant, at the request of the person awarded the grant under this chapter, the Department may approve an advanced payment for the grant based on financial need, if a request for advanced payment was specified in the grant application.
(3) If a financial or progress report required in §B or C of this regulation is overdue, the Department may withhold payment until the report is submitted.
B. Financial Reports and Records.
(1) A person awarded a grant shall:
(a) Establish a separate account to track expenditures under the grant;
(b) Maintain accurate records, including documentation of each transaction pertaining to the grant; and
(c) Submit to the Department monthly invoices for payment and an annual financial expenditure report containing the signature of the financial officer of the entity affiliated with the grant award.
(2) The Department may audit the accounts referenced in §B(1) of this regulation at any time.
(3) A person awarded a grant under this chapter shall submit to the Department within 90 days after the date the grant period ends:
(a) A final financial expenditure report; and
(b) A refund of any unexpended funds.
(4) A person awarded a grant under this chapter shall retain all records pertaining to a grant award for 3 years from the date the final financial expenditure report is submitted under §B(3) of this regulation.
(5) In the case of an audit or litigation, the Department may extend the time period under §B(3) or (4) of this regulation until the completion of the audit or litigation.
C. Progress Reports.
(1) A grantee shall submit to the CCPC three copies of:
(a) An interim report describing the progress of the grant:
(i) 6 months after the date of award of the grant; and
(ii) Every 6 months until the end of the grant; and
(b) A comprehensive final report, not later than 60 days after the date the grant period ends, that provides a summary of all of the activity conducted under the grant.
(2) A grantee receiving a cancer research grant shall include the following information in the comprehensive final report:
(d) Discussion of results and limitations of the research; and
(3) A grantee receiving a cancer primary prevention or secondary prevention grant shall include the following information in the comprehensive final report:
(a) Number of individuals served, by:
(i) Type of service;
(iii) Race; and
(b) Number of individuals with abnormal screening results, by type of cancer;
(c) Number of cancers diagnosed; and
(d) Other outcome measures.
(4) A grantee receiving a cancer treatment grant shall include the following information in the comprehensive final report for each individual receiving funds for cancer treatment:
(a) Type of cancer;
(b) Stage of cancer at diagnosis;
(f) County; and
(g) Amount of funds expended.
(5) The Department shall keep research results confidential as required by Health-General Article, §§4-1014-103, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(1) A person who publishes results from activities supported by a grant approved by the Secretary under this chapter shall include in the publication the following acknowledgement: "Supported in part with funds from the Maryland Cancer Fund of the Maryland Department of Health."
(2) A person awarded a grant under this chapter shall provide the Department with three copies of any published article pertaining to the activities conducted under the grant.
E. Ownership of Equipment. A person awarded a grant under this chapter:
(1) Shall ensure that equipment purchased under a grant under this chapter is used for the sole purpose of the grant;
(2) Shall keep an inventory of all equipment purchased; and
(3) May not transfer the equipment to another entity without the written permission of the Department.
(1) The Secretary may terminate a grant:
(a) If a grantee fails to comply with:
(i) The requirements of this chapter; or
(ii) State, federal, and municipal laws applicable to the performance of research under the grant;
(b) If a grantee fails to carry out the purposes for which the grant was awarded;
(c) In compliance with a court order; or
(d) At the request of the grantee.
(2) The Department and the State are not responsible for any expenses incurred by a grantee after cancellation of a grant.
(3) The grantee shall return all unexpended funds to the Department within 60 days of termination of a grant.
G. Compliance with Existing Laws. A person awarded a grant under this chapter shall ensure that an activity conducted in the performance of the grant is in compliance with all State, federal, and local laws.
(1) A person awarded a grant under this chapter is solely responsible for the person's actions pertaining to research conducted under a grant award.
(2) The State and the Department are not liable for any claims, losses, liabilities, expenses, or damages arising from research conducted under a grant awarded under this chapter.
I. Grant Agreements. A person awarded a grant under this chapter shall enter into a grant agreement with the Department.