A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “CMS” means Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
(2) “Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD)” means a dialysis treatment method performed manually during the day by patient in which the patient’s peritoneal membrane is used as a dialyzer.
(3) “Continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis (CCPD)” means a dialysis treatment method performed automatically during the night with a peritoneal dialysis cycler in which the patient’s peritoneal membrane is used as a dialyzer.
(4) "Department" means the Maryland Department of Health, the single State agency designated to administer the Maryland Medical Assistance Program under Title XIX of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. §1396 et seq.
(5) “Dialysis” means a treatment method in which waste products are removed from the body by diffusion from one fluid compartment to another across a semi-permeable membrane.
(6) “Dietitian-nutritionist” means an individual who is licensed as a dietitian-nutritionist by the Board of Dietetic Practice to practice dietetics in Maryland.
(7) "Free-standing dialysis facility" means a dialysis unit capable of providing staff-assisted dialysis, which is not located in an acute hospital setting.
(8) “Hemodialysis” means a dialysis treatment method in which blood passes through an artificial kidney machine and the waste products diffuse across a manmade membrane into a bath solution known as dialysate after which the cleansed blood is returned to the patient’s body.
(9) “Home dialysis” means hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis performed regularly in the home with the assistance of a family member or the patient’s caregiver.
(10) "Home dialysis training” means instructions on how to perform dialysis services in a home setting.
(11) “Licensed practical nurse (LPN)” means an individual licensed to practice licensed practical nursing as defined in Health Occupations Article, §8-301, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(12) "Medical Assistance Program" means a program of comprehensive medical and other health-related care for indigent and medically indigent persons.
(13) “Medically necessary” means that the service or benefit is:
(a) Directly related to diagnostic, preventive, curative, palliative, rehabilitative, or ameliorative treatment of an illness, injury, disability, or health condition;
(b) Consistent with currently accepted standards of good medical practice;
(c) The most cost efficient service that can be provided without sacrificing effectiveness or access to care; and
(d) Not primarily for the convenience of the consumer, family or provider.
(14) "Medicare" means the insurance program administered by the federal government under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. §1395 et seq.
(15) “Nurse practitioner” means an individual who is licensed and certified to practice as a nurse practitioner as defined in Health Occupations Article, §8-301, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(16) "Participant" means a person who is certified as eligible for, and is receiving, Medical Assistance benefits.
(17) "Patient care policies" means written policies and protocols describing patient care practices and procedures established by a group of professional personnel (including one or more physicians affiliated with the free-standing dialysis facility) and approved in writing by the facility's medical director.
(18) “Peritoneal dialysis” means a dialysis treatment method in which waste products pass from the patient’s body through the peritoneal membrane into the peritoneal cavity where the bath solution (dialysate) is introduced and removed periodically.
(19) “Physician” means an individual who is authorized under the Maryland Medical Practice Act to practice medicine in this State as stated in Health-General Article §1-101, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(20) “Physician assistant” means an individual who is licensed to practice medicine with physician supervision as stated in Health Occupations Article, §§15-301(d) and (e) and 15-302, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(21) "Plan of care" means a written plan for evaluation, treatment, and follow-up of each participant documented in the participant’s medical record that should include, at a minimum, the following information:
(a) Patient identification data;
(b) Date of service;
(c) Reason for visit;
(d) Medical history;
(e) Plan for treatment;
(f) Results of all laboratory tests ordered and performed; and
(g) Interpretation of all diagnostic radiology procedures ordered and performed.
(22) "Program" means the Maryland Medical Assistance Program.
(23) “Registered nurse (RN)” means an individual licensed to practice registered nursing as defined in Health Occupations Article, §8-301, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(24) “Social worker” means a person who is licensed as a social worker in accordance with COMAR 10.42.01.05.