A. A civil money penalty imposed on a person under this chapter may not exceed $10,000 for each offense.
B. In setting the amount of the civil money penalty under this chapter, the Secretary shall consider the following factors:
(1) Nature, number, and seriousness of the deficiencies;
(2) The degree of risk to the health, life, or safety of the residents of the program that is caused by the deficiency or deficiencies;
(3) The efforts made by, and the ability of the program to correct, the deficiency or deficiencies;
(4) Whether the amount of the civil money penalty will jeopardize the financial ability of the program to continue operation as a program; and
(5) Other factors as justice may require.
C. A person aggrieved by the action of the Secretary under this regulation may appeal the Secretary's action by filing a request for a hearing in accordance with Regulation .64 of this chapter.