A. Written Description. At the time of initial licensure, an assisted living program with an Alzheimer's special care unit shall submit to the Department a written description of the special care unit using a disclosure form adopted by the Department. The description shall explain how:
(1) The form of care and treatment provided by the Alzheimer's unit is specifically designed for the specialized care of individuals diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease or a related dementia; and
(2) The care in the special care unit differs from the care and treatment provided in the nonspecial care unit.
B. At the time of license renewal, an assisted living program with an Alzheimer's special care unit shall submit to the Department a written description of any changes that have been made to the special care unit and how those changes differ from the description of the unit that is on file with the Department.
C. An assisted living program with an Alzheimer's special care unit shall disclose the written description of the special care unit to:
(1) Any person on request; and
(2) The family or resident's representative before admission of the resident to the Alzheimer's special care unit or program.
D. The description of the Alzheimer's special care unit shall include:
(1) A statement of philosophy or mission;
(2) How the services of the special care unit are different from services provided in the rest of the assisted living program;
(3) Staff training and staff job titles, including the number of hours of dementia-specific training provided annually for all staff by job classification and a summary of training content;
(4) Admission procedures, including screening criteria;
(5) Assessment and service planning protocol, including criteria to be used that would trigger a reassessment of the resident's status before the customary 6-month review;
(6) Staffing patterns, including the ratio of direct care staff to resident for a 24-hour cycle, and a description of how the staffing pattern differs from that of the rest of the program;
(7) A description of the physical environment and any unique design features appropriate to support the functioning of cognitively impaired individuals;
(8) A description of activities, including frequency and type, how the activities meet the needs of residents with dementia, and how the activities differ from activities for residents in other parts of the program;
(9) The program's fee or fee structure for services provided by the Alzheimer's special care unit or program as part of the disclosure form that is required in Regulation .10 of this chapter;
(10) Discharge criteria and procedures;
(11) Any services, training, or other procedures that are over and above those that are provided in the existing assisted living program; and
(12) Any other information that the Department may require.
E. The Department shall restrict admission or close the operation of a special care unit if the Department determines that the facility has not demonstrated compliance with this regulation or the health or safety of residents is at risk.