A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Accredited hospital" means a hospital accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
(2) "ACEP" means the American College of Emergency Physicians.
(3) "Affiliated hospital" means a hospital that operates and provides ancillary and support services to the freestanding medical facility.
(4) "Certified medical radiation technologist" means an individual who is certified by the Board of Physicians to practice medical radiation technology in this State.
(5) "Credentialing process" means the process by which a hospital:
(a) Verifies qualifications of a physician;
(b) Delineates clinical privileges of a physician; and
(c) Monitors performance of a physician.
(6) "Department" means the Maryland Department of Health.
(7) "Emergency medical condition" means a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity including severe pain, psychiatric disturbances, and symptoms of substance abuse such that the absence of immediate medical attention could result in:
(a) Placing the health of the individual in serious jeopardy;
(b) Placing the health of a pregnant woman or unborn child in serious jeopardy;
(c) Serious impairment to any bodily function;
(d) Serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part; or
(e) With respect to a pregnant woman who is having contractions:
(i) Inadequate time to effect a safe transfer to another hospital before delivery; or
(ii) The transfer posing a threat to the health or safety of the woman or the unborn child.
(8) "Freestanding medical facility" means a facility:
(a) In which medical and health services are provided;
(b) That is physically separated from a hospital or hospital grounds; and
(c) That is an administrative part of a hospital or related institution.
(9) "Hospital" means an institution that:
(a) Has a group of at least five physicians who are organized as a medical staff for the institution;
(b) Maintains facilities to provide, under the supervision of the medical staff, diagnostic and treatment services for two or more unrelated individuals; and
(c) Admits or retains the individuals for overnight care.
(10) "Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations" means the voluntary national healthcare accreditation service recognized for Medicare certification purposes by Public Law 89-97.
(11) "License" means a document issued by the Secretary to operate a freestanding emergency medical facility in this State.
(12) "Licensed independent practitioner" means any individual permitted by law and by the facility to provide care and services without direction or supervision within the scope of the individual's license and consistent with individually granted clinical privileges.
(13) "Physician" means an individual who is licensed by the Board of Physicians to practice medicine in this State.
(14) "Registered nurse" means an individual who is licensed by the Board of Nursing to practice registered nursing in this State.
(15) "Related institution" means a facility as defined under Health-General Article, §19-301(o), Annotated Code of Maryland.
(16) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Health.