A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Accredited residential treatment center” means a residential treatment center that is accredited by the Joint Commission.
(2) “Adverse event” means an unexpected occurrence that:
(a) Is related to a resident’s medical or behavioral treatment; and
(b) Is not related to the natural course of the resident’s illness or underlying disease condition.
(3) "Center" means a residential treatment center.
(4) “Change in condition” means a significant change in a resident’s physical, mental, or psychological status including:
(a) Life-threatening conditions;
(b) Clinical complications, including significant somatic symptoms that require the assessment or treatment by qualified medical personnel;
(c) The need to discontinue a medication or treatment because of:
(i) An adverse consequence; or
(ii) The need to begin a new form of treatment;
(d) Evaluation at or admission to a hospital;
(e) Injuries that require the assessment of or treatment by qualified medical personnel;
(f) The use of restraint or seclusion; and
(g) Suicide attempts.
(5) "Department" means the Maryland Department of Health.
(6) "Fire authorities" means the official fire safety agency including the State Fire Marshal and local fire departments or fire marshals as appropriate.
(7) "Governing body" means the organizational structure that is responsible for all center operations, including:
(a) Establishing policy;
(b) Maintaining quality care; and
(c) Providing management and planning for the center.
(8) “Joint Commission” means the voluntary national healthcare accreditation service recognized for:
(a) Medicare certification purposes by Public Law 89-97; and
(b) Maryland State licensure purposes by Health-General Article, §19-2302, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(9) "Licensee" means the individual, partnership, association, or corporation to which a license is issued.
(10) “Person” means an individual, receiver, trustee, guardian, personal representative, fiduciary, or representative of any kind and any partnership, firm, association, corporation, or other entity.
(11) "Resident" means any child or adolescent domiciled in a center for the purpose of receiving the services offered by a residential treatment center.
(12) “Residential treatment center” means a psychiatric institution that provides campus-based intensive and extensive evaluation and treatment of children and adolescents with severe and chronic emotional disturbances who require a self-contained therapeutic, educational, and recreational program in a residential setting.
(13) “Secretary" means the Secretary of Health.