A. New Hospitals. A hospital that began initial operation on or after July 1, 1982, shall be inspected for compliance with the safety and sanitation components of the regulations promulgated by the Department until the hospital receives accreditation by an accreditation organization approved by the Department. If the hospital has not applied for accreditation by an accreditation organization approved by the Department within 1 year after beginning operation or has had its application for accreditation rejected, the Department shall inspect the hospital for compliance with the standards adopted under this subtitle.
B. Accredited Hospitals and Accredited Special Rehabilitation Hospitals. An accredited hospital and an accredited special rehabilitation hospital shall be subject to inspection under this chapter by the Department to:
(1) Determine compliance with a quality requirement;
(2) Follow up on any serious problem identified by an accreditation organization approved by the Department;
(3) Investigate a complaint; or
(4) Validate the findings of an accreditation organization approved by the Department.
C. Nonaccredited Hospitals. Nonaccredited hospitals shall be subject to at least two inspections per year by the Department.
D. Inspection by Secretary. The Secretary may inspect any:
(1) Hospital record or record of any utilization review agent of a hospital pertaining to review activities under the utilization review plan of the hospital to enforce the provisions of Regulations .13.22 of this chapter;
(2) Physician credentialing record to enforce the provisions of Regulation .24 of this chapter; and
(3) Hospital patient safety record, patient complaint record, or hospital patient record pertaining to review activities under a hospital's patient safety program to enforce the provisions of COMAR 10.07.06.