A. On or before July 1, 2000, and each July 1 thereafter, the Secretary shall determine the authorized licensed bed capacity for each hospital classified as a general hospital.
B. Methodology for Calculating Total Authorized Licensed Bed Capacity.
(1) The average daily census for each general hospital shall be obtained from the most current Health Services Cost Review Commission inpatient utilization data for a 12-month period.
(2) The calculation of average daily census shall include the utilization of inpatient medical-surgical, gynecology, obstetric, pediatric, and acute psychiatric service beds. Newborn services are excluded from the calculation of average daily census.
(3) The total licensed bed capacity for each general hospital shall equal 140 percent of the calculated average daily census for all inpatient acute care hospital services.
C. Application for Designation of Licensed Bed Capacity by Service.
(1) The Secretary shall annually forward to each general hospital its calculated total licensed bed capacity for the next licensure period and the current allocation of beds by major service category.
(2) In a format specified by the Secretary, each general hospital shall notify the Department of its designation of total beds by major service category for the next licensure period.
(3) The Maryland Health Care Commission shall review and approve the designation of total beds by major service category.
(4) This section does not permit a general hospital to reallocate bed capacity in a manner inconsistent with applicable statute and regulations.
D. On or before July 1, 2000, and each July 1 thereafter, the Secretary shall delicense any licensed hospital beds determined to be excess bed capacity under Regulation .07B of this chapter.
E. Temporary Adjustments to Calculated Licensed Bed Capacity.
(1) If necessary to adequately meet demand for services, a general hospital may exceed its calculated licensed bed capacity if:
(a) On average for the 12-month period, the hospital does not exceed its licensed bed capacity based on the annual calculation; and
(b) The hospital includes in its monthly report to the Health Services Cost Review Commission the following information:
(i) The number of days in the month the hospital exceeded its licensed bed capacity, and
(ii) The number of beds that were in excess on each of those days.
(2) A hospital exceeding its calculated licensed bed capacity shall notify the Department within 5 business days of the effective dates of the change in a format specified by the Secretary.