A. Equipment and furnishings shall be constructed of materials that are easily cleaned and maintained and shall include, at a minimum:
(1) A heat source for infant examination or resuscitation;
(2) A transfer incubator or isolette or demonstrated capability of ready access to a transfer incubator;
(3) A sterilizer or demonstration of sterilizing capability;
(4) Blood pressure equipment, thermometers, and fetoscope or doptone;
(5) Intravenous equipment;
(6) Oxygen equipment for patient and newborn that is stored in accordance with Standards for Health Care Facilities, NFPA 99, which is incorporated by reference as part of COMAR 29.06.01.06B(2); and
(7) Instruments for delivery, episiotomy, and repair.
(1) A freestanding birthing center shall provide for the sanitary handling of soiled linens in accordance with 29 CFR §1910.1030, which is incorporated by reference.
(2) A freestanding birthing center may have on-site laundry facilities or use a laundry service that is experienced in handling linens for health care facilities.
(3) When a freestanding birthing center uses on-site laundry facilities, the center shall disinfect soiled linens by using one of the following methods:
(a) Hot water at 160°F; or
(b) A low-temperature wash formula which specifies time, temperature, concentration, and pH control in conjunction with chlorine bleach as recommended by the detergent manufacturer for use in a health care setting.
(4) A freestanding birthing center shall maintain an adequate linen supply.