A. Fire Safety Protection.
(1) Smoke Alarms. A freestanding birthing center shall place smoke alarms on each floor and at points as recommended by the State Fire Marshal or local fire authority. A freestanding birthing center shall have alarms that are audible throughout the center.
(2) Fire Extinguishers. A freestanding birthing center shall provide at least one approved fire extinguisher on each floor, including below ground level.
(3) Lighting and Power. A freestanding birthing center shall ensure that:
(a) Exits are illuminated during time of occupancy; and
(b) Emergency lighting is located to provide illumination in event of a power failure.
(1) A freestanding birthing center shall make written copies of its fire evacuation plan available to all personnel and instruct all personnel in the implementation of the evacuation plan.
(2) A freestanding birthing center shall keep all personnel informed of their responsibilities under the plan and conduct supervised evacuation drills at regular intervals.
C. Transfer of Patients.
(1) A freestanding birthing center shall have emergency transportation available at all times, as demonstrated by:
(a) A written agreement with an ambulance service;
(b) Evidence that the center has confirmed that municipal ambulance services are available; or
(c) When located on the grounds of an acute care hospital, a written protocol which describes emergency transportation by means other than ambulance.
(2) A freestanding birthing center shall have a procedure for emergency communication with the ambulance service, or other emergency transportation mechanisms.