A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Board" means the Board of Nursing.
(2) "Certified nurse midwife" means a registered nurse who is certified:
(a) By the American College of Nurse Midwives Certification Council; and
(b) To practice nurse midwifery in this State by the Board.
(3) Freestanding Birthing Center.
(a) "Freestanding birthing center" means a facility that provides nurse midwife services through individuals licensed to practice under Health Occupations Article, Title 8, Subtitle 6, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(b) "Freestanding birthing center" does not include:
(i) Birthing services that are licensed or accredited as a unit of a hospital; or
(ii) The private residence of the patient.
(4) "Midwifery" means the antepartum, intrapartum, and postpartum management and care of women and their newborns.
(5) "Newborn" means an infant in the first 48 hours of life.
(6) Normal Maternity.
(a) "Normal maternity" means a low risk, uncomplicated prenatal course as determined by adequate prenatal care and prospects for a normal, uncomplicated birth as defined by reasonable and generally accepted criteria of maternal and fetal health.
(b) “Normal maternity” does not include the use of drugs for induction or augmentation of labor, general and regional anesthesia, vacuum extractors, forceps, recorded electronic fetal monitors, cesarean section, or surgical procedures other than episiotomy or perineal repair.
(7) "Nurse midwife services" means those services permitted to be provided by individuals licensed to practice nurse midwifery under Health Occupations Article, Title 8, Subtitle 6, Annotated Code of Maryland.