A. Purpose. There is a State wildlands preservation system composed of areas in the State designated by the General Assembly as wildlands areas. The wildland areas shall be administered for the use and enjoyment of the people of Maryland in a manner that will leave them unimpaired for future use and enjoyment as wildlands, to provide for their protection, for the preservation of their wildland character, and for gathering and dissemination of information regarding their use and enjoyment. For a description of the boundaries of an individual wildland, see Natural Resources Article, §5-1203, Annotated Code of Maryland.
B. Types of Wildlands.
(1) “Type 1 wildland” means a primitive area which by its size and location is in effect untouched by urban civilization and can offer the experience of solitude and self-reliance. Type 1 wildlands are usually lands located at higher elevations that protect watersheds and are ecologically vulnerable to human interferences.
(2) “Type 2 wildland” means a unit of importance for natural sciences and ecology with outstanding value for education, research, and appreciation of natural processes. Preservation of the desired natural condition is the prevailing purpose of the Type 2 wildlands.
(3) “Type 3 wildland” means an area which is not of ecological or primitive stature but which has the appearance of being in an untouched natural state.
C. Maryland Wildlands Preservation System. The State wildland system consists of the following areas in §D of this regulation, as delineated on maps filed in the Office of the Secretary.
D. Name, Location, and Acreage of State Wildlands.
(1) There are presently 38 State-owned areas administered by the Department identified as State wildlands.
(2) The general location, types, and acreage of State-owned wildlands are as follows:
|Big Savage Mountain||2879 acres||Savage River SF||Garrett|
|Bear Pen||1517 acres||Savage River SF||Garrett|
|Middle Fork||2932 acres||Savage River SF||Garrett|
|High Rock||650 acres||Savage River SF||Garrett|
|Maple Run||5125 acres||Green Ridge SF||Allegany|
|Cunningham Falls||4397 acres||Cunningham Falls SF||Frederick|
|Savage Ravines||2789 acres||Savage River SF||Garrett|
|Dan’s Mountain||4047 acres||Dan’s Mountain WMA||Allegany|
|Upper White Rock||300 acres||Garrett SF||Garrett|
|Backbone Mountain||1706 acres||Potomac SF/Savage River SF||Garrett|
|Maple Lick Run||600 acres||Potomac SF||Garrett|
|Puzzley Run||457 acres||Savage River SF||Garrett|
|Deep Run||1416 acres||Green Ridge SF||Allegany|
|Potomac Bends||2645 acres||Green Ridge SF||Allegany|
|Rocky Gap||943 acres||Rocky Gap SP||Allegany|
|Sideling Hill||1555 acres||Sideling Hill WMA||Washington|
|Islands of the Potomac||790 acres||Islands of the Potomac WMA||Frederick/Montgomery|
|Black Marsh||667 acres||North Point SP||Baltimore|
|Gunpowder Falls||792 acres||Gunpowder Falls SP||Baltimore|
|Patuxent River||1579 acres||Patuxent River SP||Howard/Montgomery|
|Soldiers Delight||1798 acres||Soldiers Delight NEA||Baltimore|
|Morgan Run||499 acres||Morgan Run NEA||Carroll|
|Panther Branch||735 acres||Gunpowder Falls SP||Baltimore|
|Sweathouse Branch||1073 acres||Gunpowder Falls SP||Baltimore|
|Mingo Branch/Bush Cabin Run||1272 acres||Gunpowder Falls SP||Baltimore|
|Belt Woods||610 acres||Belt Woods NEA||Prince George's|
|Calvert Cliffs||1079 acres||Calvert Cliffs SP||Calvert|
|St. Mary's River||1445 acres||St. Mary's River SP||St. Mary's|
|Mattawoman||2993 acres||Mattawoman NEA||Charles|
|Idylwild||570 acres||Idylwild WMA||Caroline|
|Pocomoke River||3029 acres||Pocomoke SF/SP||Worcester|
|Cypress Swamp||2090 acres||Pocomoke SF||Worcester|
|Cedar Island||2880 acres||Cedar Island WMA||Somerset|
|South Savage||2079 acres||Savage River SF||Garrett|
|Janes Island||3125 acres||Janes Island SP||Somerset|
|Parker’s Creek||1756 acres||Parker’s Creek WMA||Calvert|
|Zekiah Swamp||443 acres||Zekiah Swamp NEA||Charles|
|Chapman||694 acres||Chapman SP||Charles|
|Type 3 (None At This Time)|