A. The following words have the meanings indicated:
1. “Boycott of Israel” means the termination of or refusal to transact business activities, or other actions intended to limit commercial relations, with a person or entity because of its Israeli national origin, or residence or incorporation in Israel and its territories. “Boycott of Israel” does not include actions taken:
i. that are not commercial in nature;
ii. for business or economic reasons;
iii. because of the specific conduct of the person or entity;
iv. against a public or governmental entity; or
v. that are forbidden by the United States pursuant to 50 U.S.C. § 4607.
2. “Business entity” means any receiver, trustee, guardian, representative, fiduciary, partnership, firm, association, corporation, sole proprietorship, or company, including any bank, credit union, broker, developer, consultant, contractor, supplier, or vendor, individually or in any combination, that has submitted a bid or proposal for, has been selected to engage in, or is engaged in providing goods or services to the State.
3. “Commercial relations” means a business entity’s conduct of business, and the terms and conditions by which business is transacted, with a vendor, supplier, subcontractor, or other business entity.
4. “Contract” means an agreement by or on behalf of the State for a business entity to sell or lease supplies or goods, or to provide services, to the State in return for a fee, or any other form of compensation to be paid or provided by the State.
5. “Executive agency” means a State department, agency, authority, board, or instrumentality that is controlled by the Governor.
6. “Services” includes construction, real-estate development, financial management, insurance, and professional support.
B. Executive agencies may not execute a procurement contract with a business entity unless it certifies, in writing when the bid is submitted or the contract is renewed, that:
1. It is not engaging in a boycott of Israel; and
2. It will, for the duration of its contractual obligations, refrain from a boycott of Israel.
C. All requests for bids or proposals issued for contracts with Executive agencies shall include the text of the following certification to be completed by the bidder: “The undersigned bidder hereby certifies and agrees that the following information is correct: In preparing its bid on this project, the bidder has considered all proposals submitted from qualified, potential subcontractors and suppliers, and has not, in the solicitation, selection, or commercial treatment of any subcontractor, vendor, or supplier, refused to transact or terminated business activities, or taken other actions intended to limit commercial relations, with a person or entity on the basis of Israeli national origin, or residence or incorporation in Israel and its territories. The bidder also has not retaliated against any person or other entity for reporting such refusal, termination, or commercially limiting actions. Without limiting any other provision of the solicitation for bids for this project, it is understood and agreed that, if this certification is false, such false certification will constitute grounds for the State to reject the bid submitted by the bidder on this project, and terminate any contract awarded based on the bid.”
D. All Executive agencies shall implement this Executive Order in a manner consistent with the important public policy favoring advancement of women- and minority-owned businesses as set forth in Title 14, Subtitle 3, of the State Finance & Procurement Article of the Code of Maryland and related regulations.
E. All Executive agencies shall implement this Executive Order in a manner that is consistent with all applicable statutes and regulations. Nothing in this Executive Order shall operate to contravene any State or federal law or to affect the State’s receipt of federal funding.
F. If any provision of this Executive Order or its application to any person, entity, or circumstance is held invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, all other provisions or applications of the Executive Order shall remain in effect to the extent possible without the invalid provision or application. To achieve this purpose, the provisions of this Executive Order are severable.