A. There is a Governorís Commission on Maryland Military Monuments (The Commission).
B. Membership and Procedures.
(1) The Governorís Commission consists of up to 17 members appointed by the Governor.
(2) To the extent practicable, membership shall represent the population and geographic diversity of the State.
(3) Two of the members shall be nominated by the Secretary of Planning, after consultation with the Director of the Maryland Historical Trust, and have knowledge in fields such as History, Conservation, Historic Preservation, or related disciplines.
(4) The term of a member is four years, and the Governor may reappoint a member for a second term at the end of the member's term; terms are to be staggered.
(5) The Chairperson shall be the Maryland Secretary of Planning, or the Secretary's designee.
(6) The Maryland Historical Trust shall staff and support the Commission.
(7) The Secretary of Planning may appoint subcommittees to carry out the work of the Commission.
(8) The Commission shall meet at least twice every calendar year.
(9) The Governor may remove any member of the Commission for any cause adversely affecting the memberís ability or willingness to perform his or her duties, including missing more than one of the Commission's annual meetings.
(10) The Secretary of Planning may remove any member of a subcommittee for any cause adversely affecting the memberís ability or willingness to perform his or her duties.
(11) In the event of a vacancy on the Commission, the Governor shall appoint a successor to fill the remainder of the term.
(12) In the event of a vacancy on a subcommittee, the Secretary of Planning may appoint a successor.
(13) A majority of the Commission shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of any Commission business. In any subcommittee, a majority shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of any subcommittee business.The Commission and the subcommittees may adopt such other procedures and bylaws necessary to ensure the orderly transaction of business.
(14) The members of the Commission and the subcommittees may not receive compensation for their services.
(1) The Commission shall undertake an inventory of Maryland military monuments, which shall include the following information:
(a) Name, date of construction, location and means of access, and the original sponsorship of each monument;
(b) Current ownership of each monument and of monument land;
(c) Complete description of each monument including construction materials, condition, theme, and inscriptions, if any; and
(d) Responsibility for maintenance of the monuments.
(2) The Commission shall make a determination, based on historical significance, design, financial need, and physical condition, as to which monument shall receive assistance with the cost of restoration.
(3) The Commission shall procure sufficient funds for the restoration of the monuments, including contributions secured from grants and fundraising efforts.
(4) The Commission shall prepare education and tourism materials for public distribution.
D. Grants and Fundraising.
(1) Contributions received by the Commission shall be deposited accordingly:
(a) All future funds and contributions will be deposited with the Maryland Historical Trust to be held in a special fund account for the purpose of administering and paying the expenses of the Commission; and
(b) The Maryland Veterans Trust will transfer funds previously contributed to the Commission totaling $5,937.00 to the Department of Planning on behalf of the Maryland Historical Trust to be held in a special fund account and used for Commission purposes.