A. Establishment of the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement. The Governorís Office of Performance Improvement is hereby established as a separate unit within the Executive Department to improve business processes throughout Maryland state agencies through greater accountability.
(1) The Office shall be managed by a Director who shall be primarily responsible for the operations of the office. The Director shall be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
(2) The Governorís Office of Performance Improvement shall be comprised of staff appointed by the Governor.
B. Objectives of the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement. The objectives of the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement are as follows:
(1) To increase the responsiveness and level of customer service of State agencies and departments;
(2) To regularly review procedures, rules, and regulations of State agencies and departments to increase their efficiency and effectiveness;
(3) To promote business process improvement strategies to make government more efficient and responsive to taxpayers;
(4) To facilitate a research and evidence-based environment that encourages agency and department leadership and staff to make Maryland more attractive to businesses and job creators;
(5) To support cost optimization strategies to ensure receipt of the highest value for state expenditures;
(6) To help eliminate duplication, fraud, and waste in State agencies and departments by pursuing the implementation of recommendations by the Office of Legislative Audits;
(7) To provide accurate and timely data to policymakers and constituents about the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of government services;
(8) To identify and make recommendations for the establishment of metrics to track agency and department progress in meeting established strategic goals;
(9) To track and assess State agency and department progress in meeting established strategic goals; and
(10) To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas for the continuous improvement in the delivery of government services.
(1) The Governorís Office of Performance Improvement shall collect data to determine the progress being made by State agencies and departments to improve their performance.
(2) The coordinators assigned from each agency and department in the Executive Branch shall provide the data requested by the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement.
(3) After receipt of data, the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement shall analyze the collected data and identify potential areas of inquiry.
(4) On a regular basis, each Secretary or agency head, or their designee, shall meet with and address the inquiries of the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement.
D. All State agencies, departments, and boards and commissions within the Executive Branch are authorized and directed to cooperate with the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement in implementing the provisions of this Executive Order.
E. This Executive Order shall not be construed to alter existing authorities of any Executive agency or department, except that all Executive agencies and departments are directed to assist the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement in carrying out the purposes of this Executive Order.
F. Public Awareness.
(1) The Director shall be responsible for the development of the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement website, which shall be regularly updated and maintained.
(2) The Director shall publish on the Governorís Office of Performance Improvement website information regarding the progress of agencies and departments in meeting their strategic goals.