A. Established.There is a Juvenile Grant Planning and Review Council (the Council), which will serve as the State Advisory Group for purposes of the federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 2005 (the Act).The Council shall be within the Governorís Office of Crime Control and Prevention (GOCCP), the State administering agency for funds received under the Act and the agency responsible for supervising the preparation and administration of the three-year State plan, annual updates to the plan, and awarded funds.
B. Membership and Procedures.
(1) The Council shall consist of not less than 15 members and not more than 33 members appointed by the Governor, consistent with the requirements of the Act.
(2) At least one fifth of the members must be under the age of 24 at the time of appointment, and at least three members must have been or currently be under the jurisdiction of the juvenile justice system, consistent with the requirements of the Act.
(3) The Executive Director of GOCCP will serve as the Governorís designee on the Council and shall designate a member of the Council to serve as Chair.
(4) Members may serve up to two consecutive three-year terms, which shall be staggered on initial appointment.A member selected to fill a vacancy serves only for the balance of a term remaining at the time of appointment.Terms end on June 30 of each year, and at the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed.
(5) Unless otherwise provided by law, the members of the Council shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
(6) A majority of the Council shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of any business.The Council may adopt such other procedures, including the creation of subcommittees and workgroups, as may be necessary to ensure the orderly transaction of business.
(7) Adult members of the Council may not receive any compensation for their services, but may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in the performance of duties, in accordance with the Standard State Travel Regulations, as provided in the State budget and as provided in the Councilís allocation from the federal Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
(8) Appointed youth members may receive stipends and expenses as deemed necessary by the majority of council members that constitute a quorum, as provided in the State budget and in the Councilís allocation from the federal Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
(1) GOCCP shall provide such staff and technical assistance to the Council as necessary and appropriate, including staff to serve as the designated Compliance Monitor, the Statewide Disproportionate Minority Contact (DMC) Coordinator, and the Juvenile Justice Specialist required under federal law and regulations.
(2) The Compliance Monitor shall perform the required functions to ensure compliance with federal standards regarding detention of juveniles in secure detention facilities, secure correctional facilities, non-secure facilities, secure adult lockup facilities and court holding facilities.
(3) The DMC Coordinatorís primary focus shall be the disproportionate minority youth within the Stateís juvenile justice system and the Coordinator shall provide technical assistance to the Council as necessary and appropriate.
D. Duties and Responsibilities.
(1) The Council shall serve as the State Advisory Group required by the Act.The Council shall perform the functions, and have the duties and responsibilities, set forth in the Act, as amended from time to time.
(2) The Council shall review and make recommendations on all juvenile and delinquency prevention grant applications, and the Executive Director will consider these recommendations when making grant awards under the Act.
(3) The Council shall provide advice to GOCCP in developing, maintaining and expanding efforts to divert juveniles from the juvenile justice system and to provide community-based alternatives to juvenile detention and correctional facilities.
(4) The Council shall advise the Stateís Compliance Monitor, DMC Coordinator, and Juvenile Justice Specialist when necessary, and the Stateís Compliance Monitor, DMC Coordinator, and Juvenile Justice Specialist shall advise the Council of the status of all juvenile detention/correctional facilities and community-based programs to ensure compliance with the Act.
(5) The Council shall perform any additional duties as directed by the Executive Director of GOCCP on behalf of the Governor.
E. Reporting.The Council shall report annually to the Governor, by way of the Executive Director of GOCCP, on its activities and recommendations on or before June 1 of each year.
F. Conflicts of Interest.The Council shall acknowledge and abide by policies and procedures set forth by GOCCP to guard against actual conflicts of interest or the appearance of conflicts of interest for its members when making recommendations for grant awards.The procedures shall provide that members of the Council may not participate in any way in consideration of, or decisions about, grants to their own organization, an organization in which they have a financial interest, or an organization in which their family member is involved.