A. The Governor's Office of Community Initiatives shall include the following units: the Governor's Office on Service and Volunteerism, Volunteer Maryland, the Governor's Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs, the Governor's Commission on Hispanic Affairs, the Governor's Commission on Service and Volunteerism, and any other office or commission designated by the Governor in the future as a unit of the Governor's Office of Community Initiatives. The Office will be the State's principal interface with local, regional, and federal counterpart organizations.
B. Executive Director. The Office shall be managed by an Executive Director, who serves at the pleasure of the Governor. The Executive Director:
(1) Shall direct and coordinate the Governor's Office on Service and Volunteerism, the Volunteer Maryland program, the Governor's Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs, the Governor's Commission on Hispanic Affairs, the Governor's Commission on Service and Volunteerism, any other office or commission designated by the Governor in the future as a unit of the Governor's Office of Community Initiatives, and community initiatives throughout the State;
(2) Shall act as a coordinating liaison to the Commission on Indian Affairs, and the Commission on African American History and Culture;
(3) Shall advise the Governor on community and volunteer service issues;
(4) Shall represent the Governor on boards, forums, and councils as appropriate; and
(5) Shall coordinate with federal and local governments, private sector entities, academia, and community organizations to strengthen community and volunteer service programs and initiatives.
C. Staffing. The Governor's Office of Community Initiatives shall be comprised of staff appointed by the Governor and by staff liaisons from State agencies.
D. Duties. The Office shall be responsible for the following activities:
(1) Coordinating community and volunteer service activities within the State;
(2) Developing and coordinating the Governor's policy agenda affecting community programs and initiatives;
(3) Advising the Governor on policies and measures to enhance and improve the delivery of community and volunteerism services;
(4) Serving as the principal liaison to the Corporation for National and Community Service;
(5) Conducting public outreach on behalf of the Governor to encourage greater involvement and participation by community organizations and constituent groups;
(6) Reviewing State and federal legislation to assist in the identification of funding opportunities for community organizations to implement initiatives that benefit the State of Maryland;
(7) Coordinating efforts in cooperation with the Governor's Grants Office to provide technical assistance more effectively to community organizations as it relates to contracting and grant opportunities to relevant State departments and agencies;
(8) Monitoring community organizations receiving grants or other funds from or administered by the State of Maryland to ensure accountability and measurable outcomes consistent with existing federal and State policies;
(9) Directing and coordinating policy and actions relating to community and volunteer service initiatives across State government; emphasizing communication and cooperation with federal and local governments on all community and volunteer service concerns; and, providing executive and legislative recommendations to enhance community and volunteerism efforts;
(10) Coordinating public activities designed to mobilize public support for community organizations, volunteer service, and civic participation by individuals, schools, and organizations, with the goal of promoting participation;
(11) Serving as principal liaison to the faith-based community and associated organizations; and
(12) Organizing events to recognize outstanding volunteer service and showcase innovative grassroots community organizations.
E. All State departments, agencies, commissions, and boards are directed to cooperate with the Governor's Office of Community Initiatives in implementing the provisions of this Executive Order.
F. Reports. The Governor's Office of Community Initiatives shall report to the Governor annually on its activities.