A. There is a Governor's Commission on Middle Eastern American Affairs in the Governor's Office of Community Initiatives.
(1) The Commission shall consist of twenty-one voting members appointed by the Governor. The members appointed by the Governor shall reflect the diverse ancestry and national origins of the Middle Eastern American community of Maryland, shall provide representation from different geographic regions in the State, and may also include experts on issues important to the State's Middle Eastern American population.
(2) Members shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor for up to two consecutive four-year terms.
(3) The Governor shall designate a Chairperson from among the members of the Commission. The Chairperson shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor. The Chairperson shall be responsible for creating subcommittees to carry out the functions of the Commission.
(4) In the event of a vacancy on the Commission, the Governor shall appoint a successor.
(1) The Commission shall meet at the call of the Chairperson at least six times each year. Notice of meetings shall be published to encourage public attendance.
(2) A majority of Commission members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of any business.
(3) The Commission may adopt such other procedures and by-laws as may be necessary to ensure the orderly transaction of business.
(4) By June 30 of each year, the Commission shall submit an annual report to the Governor detailing its activities in the preceding calendar year, along with any appropriate recommendations.
D. Expenses. Members of the Commission may not receive any compensation for their services, but may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in the performance of their duties, in accordance with the Standard State travel Regulations and as provided in the State Budget.
E. Operational Support. The Governor's Office of Community Initiatives and the Department of Human Resources shall provide support as needed to the Commission.
F. Duties. The Commission shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
(1) Serve as an advisory body to the Governor and agencies within the Executive Department on matters relating to the Middle Eastern American population of Maryland, including matters relating to economic, workforce, and business development;
(2) Identify needs or problems affecting Middle Eastern Americans and develop appropriate responses and programs;
(3) Conduct outreach to Middle Eastern American groups and communities in the State and communicate information to them concerning public and private programs that are beneficial to their interests;
(4) Review and comment on any proposed federal, State, or local legislation, regulations, policies, or programs that affect the Middle Eastern American population of Maryland;
(5) Generally comment and make appropriate recommendations on matters affecting the health, safety and welfare of the Middle Eastern American population of Maryland; and
(6) Perform any other duties that may be requested by the Governor.