A. There is a Governor's Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs in the Governor's Office of Community Initiatives as described in Executive Order 01.01.2007.18.
B. Within this Executive Order, the term "Asian Pacific American" means persons claiming ancestral heritage in Asian countries inclusive of the Pacific Islands and Asian subcontinent countries.
(1) The Commission shall consist of twenty-one voting members appointed by the Governor. The members appointed by the Governor shall reflect the diverse ancestry and national origins of the Asian Pacific American community of Maryland and provide representation from different geographic regions in the State.
(2) Members shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor for up to two consecutive four year terms.
(3) The Governor shall designate a Chairperson from among the members of the Commission. The Chairperson shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
(4) In the event of a vacancy on the Commission, the Governor shall appoint a successor.
(1) The Commission shall meet at the call of the Chairperson, at least six times each year. Notice of meetings shall be published to encourage public attendance.
(2) A majority of Commission members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of any business.
(3) The Commission may adopt such other procedures and by-laws as may be necessary to ensure the orderly transaction of business.
(4) By June 30 of each year, the Commission shall submit an annual report to the Governor detailing its activities in the preceding calendar year, along with any appropriate recommendations.
E. Expenses. Members of the Commission may not receive any compensation for their services, but may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in the performance of their duties, in accordance with the Standard State Travel Regulations, and as provided in the State budget.
F. Operational Support. The Governor's Office of Community Initiatives and the Department of Human Resources shall provide publication, operational, and other support as needed to the Commission.
G. Duties. The Commission shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
(1) Serve as an advisory body to the Governor and agencies within the Executive Department on matters relating to the Asian Pacific American population of Maryland, including matters relating to economic, workforce, and business development;
(2) Identify needs or problems affecting Asian Pacific Americans, and develop appropriate responses and programs;
(3) Conduct outreach to Asian Pacific American groups and communities in the State, and communicate information to them concerning public and private programs that are beneficial to their interests;
(4) Review and comment on any proposed federal, State, or local legislation, regulations, policies, or programs that affect the Asian Pacific American population of Maryland;
(5) Generally comment and make appropriate recommendations on matters affecting the health, safety and welfare of the Asian Pacific American population of Maryland; and
(6) Perform any other duties that may be requested by the Governor.