A. There is a Maryland Statewide Independent Living Council (hereafter referred to as Council), established in accordance with the requirements of Chapter I of Title VII of the Federal Rehabilitation Act, as amended (hereafter referred to as Act). The Council shall:
(1) Work in conjunction with the Maryland State Division of Rehabilitation Services in submitting, monitoring, and evaluating the implementation of the Independent Living Rehabilitation Services State Plan; and
(2) Carry out other duties as stipulated in Section 705(c) of the Act to support the implementation of the State Plan.
B. Membership and Procedures.
(1) The members of the Council shall be appointed by the Governor, and conform to the requirements of Section 705(b)(2) of the Act concerning representation and consultation with interested groups and individuals.
(2) Members currently serving on the Statewide Independent Living Council, as constituted in 1988 under the Division of Rehabilitation Services, shall serve as the Governor's initial appointees to the Council established under this Executive Order. Thereafter, future appointments shall be made in accordance with the requirements of the Act.
(3) The Council shall annually elect a chairperson from among its members.
(4) Members may serve up to two consecutive three-year terms, which shall be staggered on initial appointment. A member selected to fill a vacancy serves only for the balance of a term remaining at the time of appointment.
(5) A majority of the Council shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. The Council may adopt other rules and procedures to ensure the orderly conduct of business.
(6) The Division of Rehabilitation Services shall provide staffing and resources as may be determined necessary to support the operation and duties of the Council.
(7) Members of the Council may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary expenses associated with attendance at meetings and performance of duties of the Council.
(8) The Council shall continue to operate so long as required by the provisions of the Act.