1. A State Emergency Medical System is hereby established, to be implemented in accordance with this Executive Order.
2. The Division of Emergency Medical Service is created within the State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The Division shall be headed by a Director of Emergency Medical Services appointed by the Governor, with the advice of the Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene, said Director to be responsible for the implementation, administration, and operation of the Emergency Medical System and to report directly to the Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene. The Division shall receive and disburse all federal and State funds appropriated to and by the State for the Emergency Medical System.
3. The State shall be divided into not more than five emergency medical service regions, which shall be interconnected by a State-wide emergency medical communications system.
4. The Director of Emergency Medical Services shall promptly develop a program for:
(a) Establishing and operating the State-wide emergency medical communications system.
(b) Coordinating the activities of the emergency medical service regions, including the purchase and maintenance of equipment, training of emergency medical personnel, transportation of patients, patient care, research and development programs in the field of emergency medical services, and other activities necessary to implement this Executive Order.
(c) Coordinating the State emergency medical system with appropriate authorities and agencies in jurisdictions adjacent to the State of Maryland.
The program developed by the Director shall be in accordance with the recommendations previously submitted by the State Comprehensive Health Planning Agency. It shall be submitted to the Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene and thence, with the comments and recommendations of the Secretary, to the Governor prior to its implementation.
5. The Center for the Study of Trauma is hereby abolished, and there is hereby created as an independent unit within the University of Maryland Hospital the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medicine. The Institute shall be headed by a Director appointed by the Chancellor of the University of Maryland, Baltimore City Campus, with the approval of the Governor. The Director shall report and be responsible directly to the Chancellor of the University of Maryland, Baltimore City Campus.
6. All State departments and agencies shall cooperate in the implementation of the State Emergency Medical System as herein established.